Sunday, January 20, 2013

"I'm not worried about anything..."

“I’m not worried about anything…”

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered the final speech of his life in Memphis, TN on April 3rd, 1968 at Mason Temple (Church of God in Christ Headquarters). 

He was speaking to a group of garbage workers of the city of Memphis.  They were on strike, and Dr. King was to lead them in a protest march the following day.

If you’ve never taken a closer look at what he said in his speech on April 3rd, 1968, here are the closing remarks he made that night:

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop; and I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will.

And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land.

And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I do not fear any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.


As we remember the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. this weekend, perhaps we should remember some of his final words. Dr. King reminded those people in Memphis that night forty-five years ago of something that should remain true, for believers today. 

God is so good that on the very night before Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. would be assassinated, He filled him with happiness and relieved him of his worries.  Dr. King passionately shared with his final audience that he was not concerned about longevity, but that he “just wanted to do God’s will.”

Dr. King didn’t know what would happen the following day, but God did.  Just as God put those beautiful words into Dr. King’s speech forty-five years ago, if we listen, we can hear Him today…telling you and me the very same thing – to be happy and to not worry.  (Matthew 6:25)

Sometimes it’s worth the reflection, on holidays such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, to remind ourselves that for Christ followers and believers, we have great news today.  We don’t have to worry.  We don’t have to fear any man.  We can be happy.  All we have to do is believe and put our faith in our Heavenly Father…let go and let God.

When we do that, we’re free…free of our sins, free of our worries, and free to experience true happiness.

“Free at last…free at last…thank God Almighty…we’re free at last.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Have a great day…and don’t worry.

Taylor








No comments:

Post a Comment