Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lessons From Mom - 2.0


Lessons From Mom – 2.012

A year ago, I wrote a post – Lessons From Mom – as a tribute to my wonderful, loving, supporting, and encouraging Mom…for Mother’s Day 2011. 

The team at OneMoreStepRevolution went OneMoreStep for Mothers Day 2012…

Here’s Lessons From Mom – 2.012


Ask Yourself – What am I going to do about “it”?

The unexpected often happens, preventing the perfect situation or the perfect outcome…and we usually become frustrated…and we often complain about it to our friends, coworkers, bosses, or family…

In my case, I usually call my Mom.  She undoubtedly has 87 other things she’d rather talk about than listen to my bellyaching.  However, she listens first, lets me get it all out, and then she asks me, “Okay…what are you going to do about it?”

Mom teaches and has taught so many over the years that we always have two choices – 1) Be miserable or 2) Take a more positive, productive approach and make the best of any situation. 

I’ve learned after many attempts of choosing #1, there’s little future in it…#2 usually makes for better days…

Use “We” MORE than “I”…

I hate to do this to you (because it may very well ruin your ability to keep a straight face), but I’ll tell you a fun game to play at work…listen carefully in meetings or conversations among coworkers and leaders…pay attention to how often people say “I think…this” or “I think…that”.  Listen and pay attention to how seldom people say “We”…anything

We” is collaborative…it says TEAM, “we’re in this thing together”, “we’re equals…”, “I’m in the boat with you”. 

On the contrary, always using “I think…this or that” says – “I’m just a wee bit smarter than you”, “I’m just a touch more important than you”, and “I’m basically awesome…so everyone should listen to me.”

Mom always points out to me – “which is more welcoming and more inviting…someone who uses “We” or someone who always says “I…I…I think…I did…I’m awesome…”, etc ?

We all tend to fall in the “I” Trap…it’s totally human and normal.  Recognizing it, guarding against it, and using “We” MORE than “I” is a OneMoreStep and lesson from Mom worth following.

Many kinds of successes…

2009 and 2010 were trying years for me, several of my closest friends, and many Americans, as we found ourselves out of work.  I had moved from Vegas to Miami for a job that simply didn’t work out as planned.  I later not only lost my job, but I couldn’t seem to find a new job…anywhere.

Mom wrote me an encouraging card, as only she could write.  She found a way to lift my spirits at a time when I had very little to be proud of, happy about, or look forward toor did I…

Mom’s note in December of 2009 reminded me to:

“…always remember that every single day of our lives offers possibilities, and it’s often in some of the quiet, slow days that the best of lessons show themselves…if we only take the time to notice…always be aware that there are so many kinds of success…watch for them all, and strive to enjoy…”

Two and half years later, I find myself back in Las Vegas, striving for success at work and in life.  Many days I feel unsuccessful at both…perhaps you do to…

Look UP…join me in taking this lesson from my Mom…if we slow down, peel the layers back, and truly take the time to notice, we just may find many, many successes for which to be thankful and enjoy…



Thanks, Mom, for the encouragement, love, and support for 32+ years…I love you.

I can honestly say that I really don’t know where I would be today without the many Lessons from my Mom…

Happy Mother’s Day to all the Moms…

Have a great day.

1 comment: